Liebster Blog Award

February 16, 2013



So I have been nominated for the "Liebster Blog Award" three times now over the past year or so and have been a bit lazy getting around to responding!  Thank you to Kristy from Hopeful Threads, Jules from The Awkward Niche and Ana Sofia from S is for sewing

I found Kristy's blog early on and participated in Dress a girl around the world a while back which is one of the many charity sewing events she participates in.  Kristy co-ordinates many, many charity sewing events which is really inspiring.  Jules' amazing needlework is the best I have seen.  Ana Sofia has a relatively new blog, although I found her on flickr when I first started blogging.  I loved her clothing then and was disappointed to see that she didn't have a blog.  Well, now she does and her creations are lovely.

Anyway, the Liebster Blog Award is an informal award (more of an acknowledgement) to support small (less than 200 followers) or new blogs.  Liebster is a German term that loosely translates to 'favourite'.  So thanks guys!

I have decided to answer the most recent questions posted by Ana Sofia. 

1. When did you realise that blogging was an important part of your life?

I started my blog in early 2011 just for fun.  I didn't really know what a blog was but my sister suggested it and once I began it I was hooked!  I have had lulls when I haven't been super creative - mostly due to morning sickness but at the moment I am loving blogging and I really love sharing what I make and I also love getting inspired by other awesome crafters.

2. What’s your favorite blog post (from you or others) ?

My favourite blog post is the one I wrote recently about my dollhouse.  It took me about two hours to write the post due to all the links and photos.  I loved renovating the dollhouse and my girls love playing with it. 

 
3. How do you see yourself blogging five years from now?

I really have no idea how long I will be motivated to keep up my blog.  I am home full time at the moment with our three beautiful little girls but I guess I will have less time to blog when I go back to work.  So, not sure about that question - just enjoying it for now and will see where it leads.

4. What’s your favorite childhood memory?

I had such a happy childhood.  My parents are amazing people, as are my two brothers and three sisters.  I have so many wonderful memories.  Among my favourites are probably camping out at my Grandparents's on Christmas Eve with our cousins and staying up late talking about Santa!  I also loved sleepovers with my best friend, pool parties, slip and sliding, camping trips with my family and lots of playing dolls, cops and robbers and kick the can! 

I will forever cherish my precious childhood memories and feel so lucky to have them.

5. What did you want to be when you were growing-up?

I don't remember having a burning desire to be a particular 'profession' as a child.  I always loved playing 'mum'.  I remember changing my little brother's nappies and dressing him up when I was only nine - I guess I knew I would love being a Mum.  When I finished high school, I studied to be an Occupational Therapist.  I worked as an OT for six years (with breaks for travelling overseas).  I never really liked OT though.  I started thinking about becoming a Primary School Teacher and thought this profession would be much more suited to me.  I went back to uni when I was 28 and am now a qualified Primary School Teacher - don't know why I never considered teaching when I was considering university because I love it!

6. Do you have a favorite life quote?

I can't choose just one...

"Do small things with great love." - Mother Theresa.  This is very simple, but I think keeping this close to your heart and in what you do brings happiness to you and to others.

 
I also love this poem - To laugh often and much, By Ralph Waldo Emerson.  It was read by a special friend of my Dad's at his 65th birthday celebration recently...
 -

 
7. Are you a morning person (or a night owl)?

At the moment I am a night owl - staying up late sewing!  But not a real night owl - 11.00pm is probably when I should take myself off to bed! I am fine in the morning too.  We have a coffee machine so I look forward to my latte every morning and then I'm away!  I am lucky that our girls don't wake up mega early (ie. before 7.00am).

8. What feeds your creativity?

I think it's hard not to feel inspired when you are a blogger.  There are so many awesome blogs and great people making beautiful stuff and sharing great ideas, photos and stories.  I am also relatively new to Pinterest - love it... Such a great way to keep a catalogue of ideas and also to find other creative people.  My sister and I also inspire each other in the craft department.  Jules loves sewing too and whenever we get together (at least once a week), sewing and making feature quite highly on our conversation agenda!!

9. Name your favorite fabric designers/collections ever?

I love Japanese woodland prints
 
Image from here.
 
and I find I can't seem to pass up sweet 1930's reproduction prints. 
 
Image from here.
 
 I also love Sarah Jane's Children at Play collection - particularly, On Parade.  Sarah Jane has really captured the magic of childhood in this sweet collection.
 

  Image from here.

10. What’s the best advise you ever got?

My Mum and Dad are very wise and always give great advice.  I think my Mum is a very accepting woman and really appreciates life as it is, right now.  I guess I really try to remember this when I start focussing on things that don't matter or getting worried about things that might/might not happen!

My husband, Stefan is also very wise!  He is a great thinker and is very down to earth.  He has a true sense of what is important in life - I learn from him too.

Another important and pivotal piece of advise was given to me by a friend I have lost touch with now...She is Scottish and we met her in Melbourne and were hatching plans for me to go back with her to the UK to live and work.  Then I met Stefan and was torn as to what to do.  My friend knew I had been hoping to meet someone special and she encouraged me to stay in Australia to see how things played out.  I am so glad that Stefan and I didn't part ways as I would have been unhappy overseas thinking about what I may have left behind.  And here we are... nine years later, married with three beautiful children, and a very happy life.

 
 
I must also share this original pearl from my Dad  - Live long enough to be an embarrassment to your parents!

11. What do you expect to accomplish in 2013?

Blog wise, I am hoping to have a go at drafting my own patterns (for children's clothes).  I have altered patterns myself before as well as traced patterns from existing garments, but I have never made a pattern for others to use and scrutinise - much more difficult!!  I also want to have a go at making some more clothes for myself - I just inherited a sewing mannequin so I think I will learn a lot from using it and hopefully I will get more confident to have a go at some 'grown up patterns'! 

I will be home this year and am just trying to really make the most of the time I have with my girls. My Dad was recently diagnosed with cancer so I am also hoping to really make the most of the time I spend with him and all of my family.  "An attitude of gratitude" as my Mum would say and appreciating life today.

..................................................................................................................................................................

So, now it's time for me to pass on the love and award five blogs that I love to read with this award...

Blackbird Has Spoken:  Max is an English girl living in New Zealand.  I found her recently through My Creative Space.  She has also done up a great dollhouse, has a fantastic vegie patch and loves op shopping!

I love buttons - By Emma:  Emma is an Australian girl who does beautiful crochet and also loves vintage style fabrics and makes gorgeous quilts and other lovely things.

Trebuchet:  I found Daniela's blog recently though Townmouse.  I love her style and the pride she obivously takes in bringing lovely images and ideas to her blog.  I look forward to spending some more time checking out her creations!

Miss Molly Coddle:  Sarah does lovely sewing - with a vintage feel.

Leola's Library:  The last blog I would like to award belongs to my good friend Claire.  Claire is an aspiring writer who I met four and half years ago through our Mother's group.  She has written a novel and is hoping to get it published.  She is also in the midst of writing a children's book and another novel and has just started up two blogs to document her journey.  Leola's Library is her more public blog which is dedicated to reviewing classic children's books.  I love Claire's style of writing and also remembering books from my childhood.  Reading her blog is a unique experience to me also because she is the only other person I know with a blog!  It means more when you know the writer.

And here are my questions:

1.  What are three most favourite blogs and why?
2.  Who inspires you?
3.  Why to do you sew/write/create?
4.  What do you hope to achieve from your blog?
5.  Do some things get put to the side so that you can create?
6.  What is one of your favourite books and why?
7.  What words do you live by?
8.  What important lessons do you hope to pass on to your children?
9.  If you could spend a week anywhere, where would it be?
10.  What do you hope to achieve in 2013?

Thank you for reading this long post!!!!  The idea for the nominees is to answer these questions and link back here then pass the award on to five blogs that you love that are small or new.
 
 
Thanks again,
Suz

You Might Also Like

11 comments

  1. Its so great to find out more about you-these awards are a great way to draw us out! I always envied the work of ot's when i worked in mental health!
    Thanks so much for nominating me, i shall endeavour to join in, though it might not be super soon, things are a little crazy around here at the mo x
    Righto, off to read your blog recommends...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks max. I'm sure you are busy getting ready for baby!

      Delete
  2. Hey Suz!!! So nice to hear from you and read your lovely post and catch up on your blog a bit! :) Everything looks so beautiful! Best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so nice to read about ur lovely life!

    love ur blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Suz for the nomination!I'm very pleased to know you like my blog! This is a great way to get to know us a bit better!
    I wish the best for you in everything you want to achieve in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for answering to my questions, Suz!
    Life is a bit busy around here at the moment, so I'm a bit late commenting here :-)
    It's so much fun to learn more about you (lots in common, really!)
    Love to see that you're already well ahead with one of your 2013 goals (drafting your own patterns) and with such a lovely dress! Hope that this will be start of something big for you :-)
    xx, Ana Sofia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day☼