Debbie's Birthday Dress - View 2

May 13, 2013


In the spirit of Vintage May (a vintage sewing series hosted by Jess from Craftiness is not Optional and Kristin from Skirt as Top), and following my first version of  Debbie's Birthday Dress, here is view 2 of the dress.  It features the same A-line shape and but differs in that it has a centre front seam, peter pan collar and optional pocket.  After sewing this dress up in size 5, I have decided to lengthen the hemline just a little.


The fabric was given to me from the friend of a friend and is a light wool blend.  The pocket is made from a vintage doily.


The bodice is lined with a sweet spotted cotton - Garden Pindot by Michael Miller from Sew, Mama, Sew!  (Their shop is closing down and they are selling lots of their fabrics at discount).



This view of the dress is inspired by another dress Debbie wears preparing for her party...



I remember loving this illustration as a child - all that delicious food!
 
 
 
Stefan is coming home from work wondering if he has stepped back in time! The Wiggles bandaids on the knees give it away!
 
I have one more view to show you of the dress and then it is time to get busy with drawing and digitalising!! Exciting.
 
For more vintage inspiration, have a look at the Vintage May flickr pool.
 
Also joining in with Show and Tell for the first time.

You Might Also Like

25 comments

  1. This view is adorable - perfect fabric choices

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaah! That's adorable - so sweet and old-fashioned. I just LOVE it!!!
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness!!! I LOVE this dress. Yep... I'm in love! lol.
    That's it... I've been procrastinating since KCW about making a peter pan collar... I've got all the tools I need, I think I just need to do it! Tomorrow!!
    Again... love that dress! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks cass! Will keep an eye out for your collar!

      Delete
  4. I love the dress. The knee socks and shoes make it such a perfect outfit. Those illustrations kill me. I am looking forward to my books arrival.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are both fab, I love them both. I love the colours too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I had a dress just like that as a little girl in the 70s! It is lovely - love the contrasting collar and the doily.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh I remember the Debbie books from my childhood! the illustrations are amazing! Your dress is just lovely

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so awesome! So super cute! Love it :) and thanks for linking in! So lovely to have you along :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. oo my! what a cute girl .the dress is lovely! the collar and the so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is an adorable dress :) love the peter pan collar...would also look lovely over a long sleeved top for winter and a pair of stockings...cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a sweet dress... love the Peter Pan collar and the wool fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How have I missed all these posts - these are just exquisite Suz! I think my favourite is the purple one, there's something about the colour and the lace combination that makes it work so beautifully. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh this is soooo cute! Thanks for playing along with vintage may!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Suz, these dresses are gorgeous! You are so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow....what a great dress!
    I'm collecting Tiny books ( Debby) ...also for the inspiration!
    I found your blog by An from Straight Grain, and immidiately start following you......
    You make gorgious dresses!

    Greetings from Belgium

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is a really good tip particularly to those fresh to the blogosphere.
    Simple but very accurate information… Thanks for sharing this one.
    A must read post!

    Stop by my blog: best Natural garcinia cambogia

    ReplyDelete
  17. He writes about his PD with a sense of humor and optimism that readers
    find infectious. Many cyclist and spin members will argue you don't usually
    climb out of the saddle on a bike, and you would never sprint
    out of the saddle. This home security system is a wireless system so there is no chance of de-activating it by intruders.


    Look into my blog post article spinners

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it makes my day☼